Burnaby Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Burnaby or elsewhere in Vancouver or British Columbia, you should seek help from an experienced lawyer as soon as possible.
Your lawyer can take immediate steps to protect your legal rights – especially when you are dealing with an Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) claim. Your lawyer can also get to work right away on seeking all benefits and other compensation you are entitled to receive.
For more than two decades, Klein Lawyers has worked closely with auto accident victims in Burnaby and surrounding areas, fighting to obtain the maximum financial recovery for them in their ICBC claims. We are ready to go to work for you today.
We can assist if you or a family member has been injured in a collision as a vehicle driver, bicyclist, pedestrian or motorcycle rider. We also work with those who have been harmed by hit-and-run drivers.
Simply call or reach us online to get started with a free consultation.
How Common Are Auto Accidents in Burnaby?
ICBC receives an average of 260,000 crash reports each year, with more than 65 percent of those crashes occurring in Burnaby and other streets within the Lower Mainland.
Unfortunately, many of these crashes result in injuries and deaths. Check out the following chart (based on ICBC Quick Statistics):
ICBC Crash Reports – Five Year Averages
|Area||Total Crashes ||Injuries||Deaths|
At Klein Lawyers, we know how congested and dangerous traffic can be on the streets of Burnaby. Located just east of Vancouver, the city is densely populated. It features many busy roads where motor vehicle accidents can readily occur such as Canada Way and the Trans-Canada Highway. Other major routes where crashes can occur include:
- North-South routes – Gaglardi Way, Royal Oak Avenue, Willingdon Avenue, Kensington Avenue, Sperling Avenue, Boundary Road, North Road and Cariboo Road
- East-West routes – Kingsway, Hastings Street, Lougheed Highway, Barnet Highway and Marine Way.
Like many other areas in B.C., a high number of crashes in Burnaby occur at intersections. ICBC reports that, on average, 83,000 accidents happen at intersections within the province each year, including 65,000 in the Lower Mainland alone.
Based on ICBC statistics from one recent year, the three most dangerous intersections in Burnaby are:
City of Burnaby
Most Dangerous Intersections in Burnaby
|Trans-Canada Hwy and Willingdon Ave and Willingdon Ave. off-ramp and Willingdon Ave. on-ramp and turning lane||350|
|Gaglardi Way and Gaglardi Way off-ramp & Gaglardi Way on-ramp and Trans-Canada Hwy. and emergency lane and turning lane||250|
|Kensington Ave. and Kensington Ave. off-ramp and Kensington Ave. on-ramp & Trans‑Canada Hwy. and turning lane||210|
officials have made great strides in trying to make the city friendly for cyclists and pedestrians, including constructing a network of Burnaby bike routes and urban trails
However, as ICBC figures from a recent year indicate, a high number of people suffer injuries or deaths each year after being hit by a car while biking or walking.
Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents – Five-Year Averages – Lower Mainland
Additionally, many accidents occur in Burnaby each year which involve collisions with buses run by Coast Mountain Bus Company
, which is a division of TransLink.
What Should You Do After Car Accident in Burnaby?
If you are involve in a car, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian or bicycle accident in Burnaby, you should take the following steps in order to protect your health and preserve your right to seek just compensation:
- Check yourself and others for injuries – See if you or anyone else needs immediate medical attention. However, do not try to move anyone. Wait for emergency medical responders to arrive.
- Call the police – You will want an officer to arrive as soon as possible in order to secure the scene. Request an ambulance if one is needed.
- Gather evidence at the scene, if possible – If you are physically able to do so, you should take photos of the vehicles involved in the crash and photos of any skid marks or debris at the scene. You should also get the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Get medical attention right away – If you are not transported from the scene by an ambulance, see your regular physician or go to an emergency department without delay. In Burnaby, you may wish to seek medical attention at:
3935 Kincaid Street
Burnaby, B.C. V5G 2X6
- Report your accident to ICBC – You will need to report your accident to ICBC. You can report it by phone by calling Dial-a-Claim at (800) 910-4222. If your crash occurred in the Lower Mainland, call (604) 520-8222. You can also file your accident report online.
- Get a copy of the accident report – The law enforcement agency that responded to your crash should have a report available within a few days after it happens. If you were in a crash in Burnaby, you should check with:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in Burnaby
6355 Deer Lake Avenue
Burnaby, B.C V5G 2J2
- Gather and store all of your documents – Make copies of all medical bills, including hospital, chiropractor and pharmacist bills. You should also make copies of receipts from all other expenses related to your accident. Keep the copies and original documents in a safe place for use later on in your case.
- Do not discuss your case with anyone – You should stay away from talking about your case on social media or discussing it with anyone beyond your family members and close friends. You should contact a lawyer before you accept an ICBC settlement offer or before you give ICBC authority to review your medical and employment records.
- Contact a lawyer without delay – The most important step you take in order to protect your legal rights will be to get in touch with a lawyer. Keep in mind: At Klein Lawyers, our consultations are always free and completely confidential.
How Can a Lawyer Help with Your Burnaby ICBC Claim?
If you are involved in an auto accident in Burnaby, you may be eligible to pursue two types of claims:
- Part 7 / no-fault benefits claim – Regardless of who caused your crash, you can pursue these benefits through your own Basic Autoplan, which is the insurance that you must carry as a motorist in British Columbia. These benefits cover up to $150,000 in medical and rehabilitation costs.
- Tort claim – If another driver caused your crash, you can file this claim through the driver’s ICBC liability policy. You can seek a full recovery of your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and more.
Keep in mind: When you deal with an ICBC adjuster, that adjuster will not be out to protect your interests. Instead, the adjuster owes a duty to ICBC. The adjuster will look for every opportunity to minimize the amount paid to you.
A lawyer, on the other hand, will be entirely focused on protecting your interests. The lawyer will explore all options available to maximize the value of your recovery.
At Klein Lawyers, you can count on our Burnaby car accident lawyers to:
- Timely and properly file your paperwork with ICBC or, if necessary, with the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Gather and analyze all crash scene evidence, medical records, employment records and other information that bears on your claim.
- Consult with knowledgeable and highly trained experts in accident reconstruction, medical care and other fields.
- Aggressively seek a full and fair settlement of your ICBC claim through direct and/or mediated negotiations with ICBC.
- If necessary, take your case to court and present a persuasive case on your behalf.
- Once a settlement or verdict is obtained, move as quickly as possible to make sure you receive the funds you are owed.
We can work with you on a contingency fee basis. In other words, you will pay us no investigative, expert or litigation costs or lawyer fees unless we secure a financial recovery for you. If and when we obtain a settlement or verdict in your favor, we will be paid from an agreed-upon percentage of your recovery.
Hurt in a Burnaby Car Accident? Contact Our Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has been harmed in a motor vehicle accident of any kind in Burnaby or a nearby area in British Columbia, do not hesitate to contact Klein Lawyers. We will provide the caring, personalized attention you deserve and the skilled and experienced legal assistance you need during this difficult time in your life. Contact us today.