After a traumatic experience like a car accident, finding a lawyer may be the last thing you want to do deal with. However, if you want to ensure that your rights are protected and you receive the compensation you deserve, it’s imperative that you choose a Vancouver car accident lawyer that is experienced with handling ICBC claims.
Whenever you’re about to invest in something, chances are you do your research beforehand. Deciding on a university, purchasing a home, or leasing a vehicle are all important decisions that first began with some investigation. Finding a personal injury lawyer should be no different. So, where do you start?
Research Tips to Find a Car Accident Lawyer in BC
You can always search for lawyers online, but you should also check with your family, friends, colleagues, and even lawyers you’ve used in the past for referrals. Once you have a particular lawyer in mind, the next step is to schedule an initial consultation. On your first meeting, you’ll want to have some questions ready. Here are a few examples that will help determine if he or she is the right lawyer for you:
- What is your educational background?
- How long have you been practicing as a car accident lawyer in BC?
- How many personal injury claims have you successfully settled?
- Please explain the strategy or steps involved in bringing my claim to a successful conclusion.
- Will you provide me with a comprehensive written agreement outlining all of the charges that I will have to pay for your services?
- Is your law firm well known by ICBC and their lawyers?
- When do I have to pay the lawyer and can I pay all fees and charges out of the final award or settlement?
Traffic accidents claims require in-depth research, careful preparation and attention to detail so no lawyer should be rushing you out of their office or trying to speed-up the meeting. Their answers should show you how knowledgeable and skilled they are in their field. You also want to make sure they’re accessible. Prompt email and phone replies as well as in-person meetings should be common practice.
Another characteristic in a lawyer to look for is that they be on your side and empathetic to your case. Ideally, your lawyer should only represent accident victims and not work for ICBC. They should make you feel at ease and passionate about getting you the compensation you deserve. Lastly, you want your car accident lawyer to be persistent. ICBC cases can take many months, even years, to settle, so ensuring that you lawyer will stay determined and motivated throughout your claim is extremely important.
Have questions? We’re happy to help. To meet with a Klein Lawyers car accident lawyer, contact us today. Call Mark Lyons today: 604-874-7171.