How much is my ICBC claim worth?
How much is your claim worth? Assessing a claim takes time and evidence has to be gathered on many issues. Our car accident lawyers know each and every claim is unique and the value of your claim is dependent on several factors:
- Whether you were totally or partially responsible for the accident.
- The nature and extent of your physical and emotional injuries.
- The amount and course of treatment for your accident injuries.
- Whether or not you will be left with total or partial disability as a result of your injuries.
- The nature of pre-accident employment and income.
- The length of time it took you to return to work and the ability to return to the same level of pre-accident employment.
- The costs of treatment.
It has been proven that when a person injured in a car accident consults an experienced personal injury lawyer who has a deep understanding of ICBC motor vehicle claims, the settlement values are 3 ½ times higher than those victims who work directly with ICBC.
Why Is That?
There are certain laws in British Columbia that govern the amount of money or compensation you may be entitled to. An injury claim value is assessed on a variety of factors, but most importantly on the long-term prognosis of any physical injuries. It is not an easy puzzle to put together. There are many factors that a lawyer will take into consideration related to determining the value of your ICBC accident claim. Some of these factors are:
- Pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life or non-pecuniary damages
- Loss of past income
- Loss of future income/income earning capacity
- Cost of future care
- Loss of housekeeping capacity
- Special damages – out of pocket expenses
What You Need To Know About ICBC Injury Assessment Guidelines And Precedents
There are two key factors that are not so obvious but are very important when negotiating with ICBC.
- The first is to understand the ICBC Injury Assessment Guidelines and how it is applied to each claim. This is an internal ICBC document and the courts of British Columbia are not bound to the assessment guide payouts. ICBC will try to convince you there are maximum amounts to be paid based on their own guidelines.
- The second is that there are thousands of car accident cases that are settled through the Supreme Courts of British Columbia every year, and the rulings and amounts paid to plaintiffs is key to how a lawyer will develop an offer of settlement to ICBC. If an agreed upon settlement cannot be reached out of court, precedents will be used and could be a key element on how a judge may value your claim. That is why it is called a precedent.
Do You Have The Resources You Need?
When you’re injured in a car accident, even normal, day-to-day activities can be difficult. Add in all the paperwork, ICBC claim requirements and research needed to file your claim and advocate on your own behalf adds an immense amount of stress and pressure that may not lead to the claim you are entitled to.
Klein Lawyers is a law firm dedicated to helping car accident victims. We have a team of professionals and resources we will call upon on your behalf:
|Car Accident Investigators||Crash Scene Analysts|
|Financial Professionals||Private Investigators|
|Medical Professionals||Medical Illustrators|
This team is on your side to help you obtain the maximum settlement you deserve.