The Single-Vehicle Accident And ICBC Coverage

Van in a ditch

A single vehicle collision or single-vehicle accident is a type of road traffic collision in which only one vehicle is involved. Included in this category are run-off-road collisions, collisions with fallen rocks or debris in the road, rollover crashes within the roadway, and collisions with animals. If you are involved in an accident of this nature, are you insured by ICBC for bodily injuries or car damage?

With some limited exceptions, ICBC’s stand is that the driver is at-fault. So what does that mean for you?

You will need to pay the ICBC insurance deductible to get any car repairs done. If the repairs are minor it might be in your best interest to pay for the damages directly.

  • You may be entitled to ICBC Part 7 benefits for medical and rehabilitation expenses, wage loss, and homemaking capacity benefits.
  • There are some cases where there is fault with the road construction, design or negligence related to the object on the road. But this must be proven.
  • If you are a passenger in the car and you were injured in a single vehicle accident, you can sue the driver, even if the driver is your relative. It may seem odd to sue your friend or family member, but remember, that’s what the insurance is for. It is your recourse to obtain compensation if injured.

Being in a single vehicle accident can be complicated. If you think you have a claim due to negligence or you were a passenger and have received injuries, call Klein Lawyers today to get a free car accident case evaluation.