Thousands of car accidents occur each year across Canada, and the sad truth is that many of them could have been avoided if one or more drivers involved had been more careful and responsible. It is important to understand some of the most common causes of car accidents to help keep yourself and others safer on the road.
If you’ve been hurt in a crash, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help. Klein Lawyers has been helping car accident victims in British Columbia for more than two decades. Call (604) 706-1359 or contact us online to take advantage of a free consultation.
Understanding the Common Causes of Car Accidents
One of the first things a lawyer will need to do in any car accident case is conduct an investigation to determine the cause of an accident. Some of the most common causes of crashes in Abbotsford include:
- Drunk drivers — British Columbia is home to some of the strictest drunk driving laws in Canada. Drivers who fail roadside breathalyzer tests with a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration or refuse to provide a breath sample will immediately have their driving privileges suspended for 90 days. There are also penalties for those who register over a 0.05 blood alcohol level. A drunk driver will usually face criminal charges after causing an accident.
- Distracted drivers — Drivers have more technological tools than ever at their disposal in their vehicles. In-vehicle entertainment, GPS devices, and other vehicle systems can still be distracting, and even a moment of diverted attention can be enough to cause a collision. Smartphones have become the most common source of driver distraction, and texting, talking on the phone, checking social media, and other activities can lead to catastrophic injury crashes.
- Fatigued drivers — People do not perform their best when they are tired, and this is especially true when driving. Despite the dangers, many people try to fight through exhaustion, but some people risk dozing off or even falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Speeding drivers — Many drivers exceed the posted speed limits around Abbotsford, and speeding drivers remain one of the most common causes of police traffic stops. A speeding motorist is much less likely to be able to stop in time in an emergency situation, and they are also more prone to sudden losses of control.
- Reckless drivers — Careless driving involves driving without reasonable care or attention to other drivers. Dangerous driving involves driving with reckless disregard for public safety.
- Inexperienced drivers — Some accidents are the result of drivers lacking experience, which is often the case with teenage drivers. Even senior citizens who might not drive as often as they once did may suffer from lack of familiarity with their vehicle, rules of the road, and other essential driving knowledge and skills.
How Our Abbotsford Car Accident Lawyers Can Help
If you suffered catastrophic injuries or your loved one was killed in a car crash in Abbotsford or a surrounding area of British Columbia, understand that you only have a limited amount of time to take legal action. You will want to contact Klein Lawyers right away.
Our firm has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our deserving clients. We can discuss your rights and legal options as soon as you call (604) 706-1359 or contact us online to set up of a free consultation.