Knee injuries often occur in car accidents in Vancouver and elsewhere in British Columbia. These types of injuries can cause extreme pain and require extensive medical treatment. They can also keep you from being able to work and enjoy life’s activities as you did before your crash.
At Klein Lawyers, we know how difficult it can be for car accident victims to cope with knee injuries. We want to help you to overcome the challenges you face. Our legal team can seek full compensation for your medical bills, lost income and other losses through an ICBC injury claim.
With more than 20 years of experience, our law firm knows how to pursue maximum compensation for our clients through the ICBC claims process. Contact us today and allow us to put that experience to work for you.
Common Types of Knee Injuries in Car Accidents
The knee supports most of the body’s weight, which gives it a crucial role in your ability to walk, run or sit. As a result, any type of knee damage that you suffer in an auto accident can carry devastating consequences. This damage can affect the patella, meniscus, cartilage, ligaments and tendons that comprise the knee joint.
As a law firm with an extensive background in handling Vancouver car accident claims, Klein Lawyers understands the causes of different types of knee injuries as well as the medical problems that those injuries trigger. The car accident knee injuries that our lawyers commonly handle include:
- Knee fractures – The patella, or kneecap, is the triangle-shaped bone that protects the front of the knee joint. In a crash, the patella can slam into the dashboard and fracture. A surgeon may need to remove all or part of the kneecap and reconstruct it by using pins and screws.
- Knee dislocation – The force of impact in a crash can knock out of place the bones that meet at the knee joint – the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone). The dislocation can cause severe pain and swelling. A doctor may “pop” the bones back in place or perform arthroscopic surgery.
- Meniscus / cartilage tear – The meniscus is the disc-shaped mass of cartilage behind the knee that provides a cushion when force is placed on the knee. If the meniscus tears or ruptures in a crash, it can cause your knee to lock up. Treatment can range from a combination of painkillers and physical therapy to replacement of the meniscus with a prosthetic.
- Ligament damage – Head-on and side-impact collisions can cause a person’s knee to suddenly twist. This abrupt, awkward motion commonly tears ligaments inside of the knee – anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) – or on the sides of the knee – medial collateral ligament (MCL) and lateral collateral ligament (LCL). When these injuries occur, it makes it impossible to flex the knee without extreme pain. Many victims require arthrosopic surgery and extensive physical therapy.
Unfortunately, all of the above injuries could lead to complications such as infections, arthritis or damage to other parts of the body such as the ankles or hips.
As Klein Lawyers works on your case, we will seek a recovery that accounts for your past medical expenses as well as care you will need in the future. We also will seek compensation that reflects the impact on your ability to work in the years ahead.
Types of ICBC Claims for Car Accident Knee Injuries
If you are a British Columbia driver, a passenger in a B.C. vehicle or even a pedestrian or cyclist struck by a B.C. vehicle, who suffers a knee injury in an accident, you may be able to pursue compensation through two types of ICBC coverages.
First, you may be eligible to recover Part 7 benefits, or “no-fault benefits.” These benefits can pay for your medical and rehabilitation expenses, including the costs of X-rays, MRIs, arthroscopic or reconstructive knee surgery, prosthetics, assistive devices, medication and ongoing therapy. No-fault benefits can also provide:
- Wage loss benefits (up to $300 per week)
- Homemaker benefits (up to $145 per week).
If another person’s careless or reckless driving caused your auto accident, you may also be eligible to pursue compensation through that driver’s ICBC third-party liability coverage. In this claim, you could pursue a recovery of damages that include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and diminished future earning ability
- Pain and suffering.
- All other reasonable out-of-pocket expenses not covered through “no-fault” benefits.
Additionally, your case may involve filing a claim through your own uninsured motorist, underinsured motorist or Hit & Run ICBC coverage. Klein Lawyers will explore all potential sources of compensation available to you.
How an ICBC Claims Lawyer Can Help You
ICBC will focus on ways to minimize the amount it pays to cover your knee injury claim. Klein Lawyers, on the other hand, will focus on maximizing the amount that you recover. We want to ensure that you receive the funds you need to cover your pain and suffering, medical expenses and all of your other losses.
With a legal team of more than 50 staff members and offices that feature cutting-edge technology, we have the resources to conduct a thorough investigation of your case and prepare a claim that solidly establishes your right to a financial recovery.
By working tirelessly to compile all evidence surrounding your crash and your knee injury, we may be able to resolve your case through an ICBC settlement that fully and fairly compensates you.
However, if ICBC challenges the amount you are seeking, or if the other driver contests fault, we will be prepared to pursue justice for you by filing a claim in the Supreme Court of British Columbia. Our firm features highly skilled trial lawyers. They will know how to present the strongest case possible for you in court.
Contact Our Vancouver Knee Injury Lawyers Today
The Vancouver car accident lawyers of Klein Lawyers can provide the experience and resources you need to seek a maximum recovery in your ICBC knee injury claim. Contact us today and learn more about the many services we can provide. We will discuss your case in a free consultation, and we will charge no fees unless we obtain recovery for you.