Matthew Cleary, Vancouver Motor Vehicle Lawyer
Matthew Cleary is a lawyer in Klein Lawyers’ personal injury practice. Matt manages motor vehicle plaintiff cases and has experience in conducting trials, mediations and judicial settlement conferences. He has worked on many notable trials and settled files with remarkable results against ICBC.
Matt was active at UBC where he was part of the Law Students’ Legal Advice Program, helping members of the community with legal assistance and offering free advice to low-income clients with legal disputes. He has also volunteered with the Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre Society as well as volunteered in Jakarta, Indonesia. Matt is proficient in Bahasa Indonesia and Spanish.
- University of British Columbia, Bachelor of Laws, 2008
- Dalhousie University, Legal Studies, 2006
- University of Victoria, BA (With Distinction), 2001
- Pan Pacific International College, Victoria, 2002
- Lawyer, Klein Lawyers
- Lawyer, Spraggs and Company Law Corporation, 2009-2013
- Various Positions, Spraggs and Company Law Corporation, 2007-2009
- Articled Student, UBC Criminal Clinic, 2008
- 2017: Three accidents. In second accident, suffered six fractured vertebrae, two fractured ribs, ruptured tendon in wrist, chronic pain in neck, back and elsewhere, chronic headaches, chronic PTSD. Settlement amount: $1.3 million.
- 2017: Passenger in single vehicle accident, not wearing seatbelt. Suffered dislocation fracture of hip, fractured femur and sternum. Settlement amount: $425,000.
- 2016: Passenger in two rear-end accidents. Suffered torn rotator cuff requiring surgery, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS), chronic neck and shoulder/arm pain, chronic headaches, aggravation of pre-existing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Settlement amount: $410,000.
- 2014: Passenger in roll-over accident on highway. Fractured ankle, femur, pelvis and ribs, lacerated kidney and pulmonary contusion. Settled for $150,000 over policy limits, roughly one year post-accident. Settlement amount: $656,915.59.
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre Society, 2006
- Active Supporter of Canadian Red Cross
- Active Supporter of UBC Law Student Bursaries
- Active Supporter of Royal Columbian Hospital Foundation