Matthew Cleary, Personal Injury Lawyer
Matthew Cleary is a lawyer in Klein Lawyers’ personal injury practice group. Matt manages plaintiff personal injury cases and has experience in conducting trials, mediations and judicial settlement conferences. He has worked on many notable trials and settled files with remarkable results.
Matt was active at UBC where he was part of the Law Students’ Legal Advice Program, helping members of the community with legal assistance and offering free advice to low-income clients with legal disputes. He has also volunteered with the Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre Society as well as volunteered in Jakarta, Indonesia. Matt is proficient in Bahasa Indonesia and Spanish.
- Personal Injury Claims
- Trip & Fall Claims
- University of British Columbia, Bachelor of Laws, 2008
- Dalhousie University, Legal Studies, 2006
- University of Victoria, BA (With Distinction), 2001
- Pan Pacific International College, Victoria, 2002
- British Columbia, 2009
- Lawyer, Klein Lawyers
- Lawyer, Spraggs and Company Law Corporation, 2009-2013
- Various Positions, Spraggs and Company Law Corporation, 2007-2009
- Articled Student, UBC Criminal Clinic, 2008
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- 2019: Client hit by van as a pedestrian. Suffered fractured skull, moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury, broken arm, several broken ribs and, shortly after (as a result of altered gait from brain injury), broken hip. Client already totally disabled from work for several decades as a result of pre-existing schizophrenia. Settlement amount: $790,000.
- 2018: In subject rear end accident, suffered soft tissue injury to low back which, combined with aggravation of pre-existing, previously-asymptomatic lumbar degenerative disc disease, caused chronic mechanical low back pain. Client had a subsequent worker-on-worker accident which aggravated and perpetuated injuries from the subject accident. Settlement amount: $417,500.
- 2017: Three accidents. In second accident, suffered six fractured vertebrae, two fractured ribs, ruptured tendon in wrist, chronic pain in neck, back and elsewhere, chronic headaches, chronic PTSD. Settlement amount: $1.3 million.
- 2017: Passenger in single vehicle accident, not wearing seatbelt. Suffered dislocation fracture of hip, fractured femur and sternum. Settlement amount: $425,000.
- 2016: Passenger in two rear-end accidents. Suffered torn rotator cuff requiring surgery, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS), chronic neck and shoulder/arm pain, chronic headaches, aggravation of pre-existing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Settlement amount: $410,000.
- 2014: Passenger in roll-over accident on highway. Fractured ankle, femur, pelvis and ribs, lacerated kidney and pulmonary contusion. Settled for $150,000 over policy limits, roughly one year post-accident. Settlement amount: $656,915.59.
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre Society, 2006
- Active Supporter of Canadian Red Cross
- Active Supporter of UBC Law Student Bursaries
- Active Supporter of Royal Columbian Hospital Foundation